Today is my birthday, so I was off work to do whatever I wanted. I slept in until 7:30 (my normal wakeup time is 5:20), ran an errand, and then passed out on the couch while waiting for Tom to get home and take me to lunch. And then, I decided to finally tackle the muslin for Simplicity 1089. And tackle it I did!
I sewed this entire thing in maybe an hour, and did not have to make any changes to the fit. I pinned the zipper opening closed to see how it would fit, and I’m really happy with it. I’m going to start cutting my fashion fabric tonight if I can stay awake! I just need to buy a zipper and I can finish this thing pretty fast. I didn’t finish the neckline, armholes, or hem on the test garment, but those things won’t be too difficult. I’ll be doing a bias tape facing that isn’t visible from the outside to finish the arms and neckline, and I’ll do my usual invisible hand-sewn hem. The only issue I had with this blouse is that I couldn’t figure out the welts. I haven’t decided if I want to use them or not, but I’ll decide once I get a look at the shirt when it’s sewn up in the cotton voile I’m using. I’m really excited that this blouse will go together so fast–I could use an easy project to keep my motivation going. This is one of the two projects I had set out to complete for Fall for Cotton 2013, so it looks like I’ll get at least one item done on time!