Fall for Cotton 2013 – Finished!

I finished my vintage Simplicity 1089 this morning (while watching “How to Marry A Millionaire”) and am really happy with it. My husband helped me take a few photos tonight, and here are a couple of them:

Image

Yay, blouse!

Image

From the back; please pardon the wrinkles!

Now that I’ve finished this shirt, I can see a few things I would have done differently. For one thing, I could probably use two darts at the neckline in the back. I could also take in the sides a little bit, but I don’t think the blouse looks too big for me. Plus it was pretty easy to get in and out of with this amount of ease, which is a good thing!

The entire blouse is underlined in white cotton batiste; the cotton voile is really sheer, so that was completely necessary. I did my very best to match the stripes at the sides, and did an okay job. The right side looks best, and the left side (with the zipper) is off by about 1/4″. I inserted the zipper by hand, and doubt I would ever put in a zipper any other way–it’s so easy and doesn’t involve making any changes with my sewing machine. The hem is nice and even, although there is a difference in the amount of white between the stripe and hem from front to back; that’s due to a difference in length of the pieces (I cut them sloppily, I guess) and the slightly uneven stripe matching on the zipper side, I think. It’s also very, very wrinkled, and that’s my fault. It’s tough to press things well without a form (for me, anyway), so I spritzed the blouse with Downy Wrinkle Release and threw it in the dryer. That would have been fine, except that I was watching my movie, and totally forgot about the dryer. By the time I remembered, the cycle had been over long enough for the blouse to not be warm anymore and all the wrinkles were back. Ugh. I’ll do better next time!

I’m putting off wearing this until Tuesday because a friend at work is off tomorrow, and I really want her to see it. It’s hard to leave it on the hanger for an extra day, but Tuesday is just around the corner!

Fall for Cotton – Vintage Simplicity 3073

Hey guys!

How are your current projects coming along? Are you working with your fashion fabric yet or, like me, are you still in the muslin stages?

I’ve made a little more progress on my muslin for Simplicity 3073, a gorgeous dress pattern from the 1930’s. To try to save muslin, I only cut one of the two skirt pieces; my husband referred to the muslin dress as a “shirpron,” a clever combination of “shirt” and “apron.” He’s not the most helpful assistant!

Image

From the front; the way I’m standing is creating that weird fold in the skirt

Image

Side view

It’s sure looking more like a dress, isn’t it?? I still haven’t practiced any solutions for that damned placket, but I *did* get the sleeves figured out. You can probably see in the first photo that my right sleeve is puffed (a very 1930’s style) and my left sleeve is flattened at the top, which is how it ought to be for this dress. The sleeve piece is the one missing from the pattern, so I used one from a 1940’s blouse pattern that I have hanging around; after setting that one, I read the instructions (yep, after) and realized that the sleeves on this dress are meant to have 3 darts in them, right at the top. I did the other sleeve (mostly) correctly and it looks so much better. I’m confident that I can handle that aspect of this pattern for real! I’ll probably cut about 1″ off of each sleeve before finishing them (with a bias facing, per the instructions), since they are sort of an awkward length on me as-is. The skirt will be pretty easy, and I won’t have to take up much of a hem since the length is about 1-2″ from where I want it. The left side gets a zipper, but I’m too cheap and lazy to insert zippers on a muslin. Based on pinning it closed, I think the real version will fit nicely once the zipper is inserted. My last muslin step is to see if I’m able to figure out the “pockets,” which aren’t actually pockets, but cute little topstitched rectangles that don’t open. Turning the points out properly will be key!

The band has a show this week, but I’m determined to force myself to sew at least one night between now and then. Maybe I’ll even cut into the bow fabric! 😉