Fall for Cotton 2013 – Finished!

I finished my vintage Simplicity 1089 this morning (while watching “How to Marry A Millionaire”) and am really happy with it. My husband helped me take a few photos tonight, and here are a couple of them:

Image

Yay, blouse!

Image

From the back; please pardon the wrinkles!

Now that I’ve finished this shirt, I can see a few things I would have done differently. For one thing, I could probably use two darts at the neckline in the back. I could also take in the sides a little bit, but I don’t think the blouse looks too big for me. Plus it was pretty easy to get in and out of with this amount of ease, which is a good thing!

The entire blouse is underlined in white cotton batiste; the cotton voile is really sheer, so that was completely necessary. I did my very best to match the stripes at the sides, and did an okay job. The right side looks best, and the left side (with the zipper) is off by about 1/4″. I inserted the zipper by hand, and doubt I would ever put in a zipper any other way–it’s so easy and doesn’t involve making any changes with my sewing machine. The hem is nice and even, although there is a difference in the amount of white between the stripe and hem from front to back; that’s due to a difference in length of the pieces (I cut them sloppily, I guess) and the slightly uneven stripe matching on the zipper side, I think. It’s also very, very wrinkled, and that’s my fault. It’s tough to press things well without a form (for me, anyway), so I spritzed the blouse with Downy Wrinkle Release and threw it in the dryer. That would have been fine, except that I was watching my movie, and totally forgot about the dryer. By the time I remembered, the cycle had been over long enough for the blouse to not be warm anymore and all the wrinkles were back. Ugh. I’ll do better next time!

I’m putting off wearing this until Tuesday because a friend at work is off tomorrow, and I really want her to see it. It’s hard to leave it on the hanger for an extra day, but Tuesday is just around the corner!

Simplicity 1089 – Construction, Phase 1

Since I neglected to take photos when I was sewing my Hawthorn, I decided to do things differently for vintage Simplicity 1089. I’ve got everything cut out (and have a lot of yardage left over, so I’ll probably make at least one more blouse out of this fabric) and have applied the interfacing at the neckline. And one thing I forgot to mention last time is that this pattern arrived UNCUT. That was an amazing surprise!

Image

Uncut vintage pattern–yay!

Image

I had some pretty cute help, too…

Image

Fabric cut and ready to baste!

Image

Underlining with interfacing

I got a bit of a late start this evening, so I stopped before basting the underlining to my main fabric or transferring any markings to the underlining. I did take care to match up the stripes on my fashion fabric so that they line up all the way around, and I’m going to pin the living hell out of the seams before I stitch to make sure they stay lined up! I’m planning to stop at Joann’s for my zipper tomorrow so that I can finish this up ASAP. Yay, progress!

Simplicity 1089 – Coming Along!

Today is my birthday, so I was off work to do whatever I wanted. I slept in until 7:30 (my normal wakeup time is 5:20), ran an errand, and then passed out on the couch while waiting for Tom to get home and take me to lunch. And then, I decided to finally tackle the muslin for Simplicity 1089. And tackle it I did!

From the front; please excuse the sweatpants!

From the front; please excuse the sweatpants!

Back

Back

Side view; the zipper goes on the other side.

Side view; the zipper goes on the other side.

I sewed this entire thing in maybe an hour, and did not have to make any changes to the fit. I pinned the zipper opening closed to see how it would fit, and I’m really happy with it. I’m going to start cutting my fashion fabric tonight if I can stay awake! I just need to buy a zipper and I can finish this thing pretty fast. I didn’t finish the neckline, armholes, or hem on the test garment, but those things won’t be too difficult. I’ll be doing a bias tape facing that isn’t visible from the outside to finish the arms and neckline, and I’ll do my usual invisible hand-sewn hem. The only issue I had with this blouse is that I couldn’t figure out the welts. I haven’t decided if I want to use them or not, but I’ll decide once I get a look at the shirt when it’s sewn up in the cotton voile I’m using.  I’m really excited that this blouse will go together so fast–I could use an easy project to keep my motivation going. This is one of the two projects I had set out to complete for Fall for Cotton 2013, so it looks like I’ll get at least one item done on time!