I finished my vintage Simplicity 1089 this morning (while watching “How to Marry A Millionaire”) and am really happy with it. My husband helped me take a few photos tonight, and here are a couple of them:
Now that I’ve finished this shirt, I can see a few things I would have done differently. For one thing, I could probably use two darts at the neckline in the back. I could also take in the sides a little bit, but I don’t think the blouse looks too big for me. Plus it was pretty easy to get in and out of with this amount of ease, which is a good thing!
The entire blouse is underlined in white cotton batiste; the cotton voile is really sheer, so that was completely necessary. I did my very best to match the stripes at the sides, and did an okay job. The right side looks best, and the left side (with the zipper) is off by about 1/4″. I inserted the zipper by hand, and doubt I would ever put in a zipper any other way–it’s so easy and doesn’t involve making any changes with my sewing machine. The hem is nice and even, although there is a difference in the amount of white between the stripe and hem from front to back; that’s due to a difference in length of the pieces (I cut them sloppily, I guess) and the slightly uneven stripe matching on the zipper side, I think. It’s also very, very wrinkled, and that’s my fault. It’s tough to press things well without a form (for me, anyway), so I spritzed the blouse with Downy Wrinkle Release and threw it in the dryer. That would have been fine, except that I was watching my movie, and totally forgot about the dryer. By the time I remembered, the cycle had been over long enough for the blouse to not be warm anymore and all the wrinkles were back. Ugh. I’ll do better next time!
I’m putting off wearing this until Tuesday because a friend at work is off tomorrow, and I really want her to see it. It’s hard to leave it on the hanger for an extra day, but Tuesday is just around the corner!